Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Toilet

I just flushed the toilet. 
It was incredible.
I decided to blog about it, which led to more incredible happenings.
Everyone must have a picture in their post, correct?
Since this is a post about our toilet I google image searched a picture of a toilet to put up just in case anybody forgot what a toilet looks like.
It looks like this, remember?

Who knew I could find so much joy out of the simple act of image searching "toilet"??

Check it.

This picture was the second one that poped up.

I think somebody got tired of telling men to put the toilet seat down.

I don't even know what to say about this one...

I also learned a little bit of history about the toilet. I clicked on a picture of a normal looking potty. It was attached to an article entitled, "Thomas Crapper's toilet revolution". 

Meet Thomas Crapper.

Let me tell you a little bit about him. It is a common misconception that Thomas Crapper invented the water closet. It was actually invented by John Harrington in 1596, but Mr. Crapper is responsible for increasing the popularity of the toilet and developing related inventions.

Whaaa?? Seriously people. I found this article like 7 seconds after finding the picture of face toilet. The internet is like entertainment gold.

Now that I just entertained you beyond anything you've ever experienced, it's on to the original story that started all the potty talk.
No, I didn't purchase any of those toilet set ups, and no I am not doing a report at school on Thomas Crapper. It's much more simple and less interesting than that. 
Our toilet broke. The flusher didn't work, so after doing my business, I would have to take off the back lid, reach my hand it the water, and pull the little black rubber thing up so it would flush. This was annoying and gross. It's clean water back there but the water has stained the porcelain so bad that the edges are browned and the rubber ball thing was deteriorating and would leave a black residue on my fingers. Nas-to-the-tee.
We didn't tell our landlord for weeks. Each of us hoped the other one would go tell Doug, but we both didn't want to knowingly dive into a long awkward conversation about previous tenants or pipes or anything that nobody is interested in. So we waited until yesterday when rent was due. He fixed it in like 7 minutes and now it flushes like a dream! I get happy when I go to the bathroom. Hallelujah! Praise the toilet!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the history lesson. Who needs school when i can just read your blog!?


    (and i am glad you don't have to stick your hand in the toilet anymore.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with bethel. And btw I am so jealous of Mr Thomas. I hope some day my last name will amount to something as great as a slang word for poop. {crap}
    Good post Es.

    ReplyDelete